Hospitality and Culinary Trainee Program
Length: 12 - 18 months
About This Program
This program is designed for people who have 1-2 years of full-time hospitality experience (obtained in the last 24 months), to come to Australia and develop professionally.
Australia is well known for its tourism and hospitality industry and there is no better place to further your career. Developing your skills and following a dedicated Workplace-based Training Plan, this program allows you to enhance your resume and gain work experience while getting paid. The program runs for a period of 12 to 18 months.
Positions are located throughout Australia, from urban areas like Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, and Perth to regional locations like Gold Coast, Hobart, the Whitsunday Islands, and Ayers Rock.
What will I be doing?
Based on your qualifications and prior work experience, you will be placed in a high-end, luxury resort, 4 and 5-star hotel, or popular bar or restaurant in Australia. We work closely with all our Host Employers to ensure you receive the best possible experience. The types of positions that are available include:
- Food and Beverage
- Front Office
Working in a global environment while interacting with team members from Australia and around the world is an ideal way to build lasting international experience and connections. Outside of the workplace, you will have opportunities to participate in cultural activities, and gain a better understanding of Australian life and make new friends.
"I like meeting new people, especially if it’s from different cultures and from different countries all over the world. I think that connection might really help me not only personally but also professionally."
- Cammile from the Phillippines
What This Program Includes
Job secured before arriving in Australia so you know exactly where you are going and you begin earning right away.
Resume and Interview Preparation
We help you with your resume and interview preparation so you make a great first impression and feel confident and ready for your interview.
24/7 emergency support for the duration of the program
We work with you in advance to prepare you for your adventure in Australia and provide you with an orientation.
Complementary hostel accommodation for two nights upon arrival in country. (Extended stays can be arranged at the participant’s expense).
To apply for our Trainee Program, you will need to be eligible for the 407 visas and meet the following requirements:
- Education: Applicants must have a culinary or hospitality degree from an approved institution
- Experience: Minimum of 12 months full-time relevant work experience within the last 24 months (see next section)
- Language: Applicants must have a strong English level and pass a standardized English proficiency test OR have studied their degree in English
- Health: Applicants must have a medical exam to meet health and safety requirements
- Insurance: The Australian government requires medical insurance. Together with our insurance partner, we help you find the correct required coverage.
- Visa & Passport: Applicants must be eligible for 407 visa and meet the Australian character requirements. A valid passport is also required.
Specific Experience Requirements
- Food and Beverage: Candidates that have at least 12 months of experience who have been exposed to managerial or supervisory duties within the last 24 months (For example, a candidate is working towards becoming a café or restaurant manager)
- Front Office: Candidates that have opera experience and at least 12 months of experience who have been exposed to managerial or supervisory duties within the last 24 months (For example, a candidate is working towards becoming a hotel manager)
- Culinary: Candidates that have at least 12 months’ work experience as a cook or chef and is working towards the next level. (For example, Sous Chef or Chef de Partie)
Australian Trainee 407 Program
Up to 18 months
The program fee is to be paid within 5 days after the job offer is received
- Registration fee
- Applicant profiling and host company matching
- Interview preparation
- Visa and legal fees
- Development of personalized Training Plan required by the
- Department of Home Affairs
- Orientation services
- 3-night hostel stay upon arrival
- Set up of bank account, tax file number and health insurance
- Local support and 24/7 emergency support throughout the participant’s stay.
- Return flights to Australia
- 12 months of compulsory health insurance
[approximately $17 AUD per week]
- Rent, meals, general living expenses
- Responsible Service of Alcohol Certificate
Fees specific to your placement will be outlined in the Alliance Abroad Program Disclosure Document.
Alliance Abroad advises that you bring at least AUD $2,000 to cover your initial living expenses prior to receiving your first paycheck. Please note that the recommended amount does not include housing expenses.
Prices can change without notice
Australia is bursting with incredible destinations – the only question is, which ones to pick? Each Aussie spot offers a unique experience, so whether you’re a foodie, beach lover, or adventurer, there’s a place perfectly suited to you. Just let Australia pick for you, there is an amazing adventure waiting to be written.
The estimated cost of living in Australia depends on your location and lifestyle. The table below gives a general idea of what to expect. Amounts are given in Australian dollars per month.
Phone and Internet
Total Monthly Costs
Average Hourly Pay