Life in the United States

Contacting AAG

Please contact your Outreach Coordinator with any questions or the Support Team by emailing or calling 1-866-622-7623.

2021 E 5th St #110Austin,

TX 78702, USA

Phone: +1 512 457 8062

Fax: +1 413 460 3502

Toll-free number: +1 866 622 7623 or +1 866 6ABROAD



U.S. Department of State
ECA/EC, State Annex – 44 (SA-44)
301 4th Street, SW, Room 664
Washington, DC 20547-4406

J-1 Visa Hotline (Emergencies):  +1 866 283 9090


The I-94 Form is the Arrival and Departure Record issued by Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to foreign visitors entering the U.S. At the time of arrival, you should receive a stamp in your passport indicating the Class of Admission and the departure date. You must exit the U.S. on or before the departure date stamped in the passport.

Your host company will need a copy of your I-94 for your new hire paperwork and onboarding.  You will also need a copy when applying for your social security number.  To retrieve your I-94 form, please follow these steps: 

  1. Wait 24 hours from your arrival in the U.S. 
  2. Go to the CBP website and make sure that your computer is connected to a printer.
  3. Enter the required information in all CAPITAL letters. Please make sure you enter your name exactly as it appears in your passport.
  4. Click Submit.

If you cannot find your I-94 online, please contact AAG.

After you check into SEVIS, please wait at least 10 business days to apply for your social security card. If you attempt to apply before 10 business days have passed, you may not be able to submit your application, or the issuance of your social security card might be delayed.

Please apply for social security at the start of your program to ensure you receive your number on time.  If you apply during the last month of your program, your application will not be accepted.

For a successful appointment, you must present original documents and one copy of each of the following: 

  • Social Security Application Form. Please make sure to provide your Host Company address as the mailing address where to mail your Social Security card.
  • Your Electronic I-94 print out
  • Passport
  • DS-2019
  • Sponsor Letter
  • DS-7002 form (Intern/Trainee participants only)
  • Birth certificate or official picture ID that is at least one year old

Keep your receipt.

Provide your number to your host company. 

Opening a U.S. bank account is highly recommended and an effective way to manage your finances and protect your money.


  • Locate a bank close to either your host company or housing. Ask your Host Company if they have any recommendations.
  • Inquire about opening a checking account; see if the bank offers student discounts.
  • Ask if the bank requires a minimum balance, has a minimum duration for an account (some banks require at least 4 months) or if they charge ATM withdrawal fees.

Please note that some host employers will be able to direct deposit your paycheck into your bank account. This is a very convenient way to receive your paycheck instead of a paper check you then must deposit. Many banks now offer smart phone apps that allow you to deposit paper checks via a smart phone.

Documents needed: 

  • A passport and J-1 Visa
  • A DS-2019 form
  • Secondary form of ID (Picture Student ID, Birth Certificate, etc.)
  • Proof of social security application (or your social security number if you’ve received it)
  • If required, a letter from your employer confirming employment

At the time of opening a bank account, you will need to either deposit money or a check into your account to get started.

Let's Connect

Begin your journey with us today. We’re here to help.

Scroll to Top
Skip to content